Dots in file names are a carry over from the S/36 where the dot was the
end of a group name. You couldn't save all files beginning with G by
using G* unless there's was a dot right after the G.
That being said I would stop using the dot in the file name. Not only
does it cause the issue you are seeing but it confuses other applications
like SQL. Which is trying to determine if you are using *SYS or *SQL
naming convention.

Now, as I come down from the pulpit, you might want to try this in your
ftp session:
ftp somewhere
namefmt 1
The remote site might echo back a "what the heck" if it is not an i5.
put /qsys.lib/library.lib/g.ussr.file/g.ussr.mbr

By the way, the USSR collapsed some years ago.