Joe Pluta wrote:
From: rob@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you too. I don't know how many times I asked this list if the
people supporting old releases are actually making NEW sales on releases
no longer supported by IBM and never heard a response.

Rob, I'd bet that the majority of people making sales to shops that are on
back releases are the smaller utility companies that are helping companies
band-aid their existing machines.

I agree that "making sales" heavily favors newer systems.

OTOH, long-term ongoing maintenance fees can often come from systems that remain stable... ummm... long-term. Maintenance streams fund a lot of work. I'm not sure how easy it is (for management of sales divisions, etc.) to leave behind customers that have been faithfully making fee payments for years.

I see you Joe added a relevant comment later in the thread. But I wanted to emphasize a point about the 'management of sales divisions, etc.' that I just mentioned.

A number of comments have used the term "software vendors". The term feels like it's implying some single individual who wrote a program or application and is selling it. It often _starts_ with an individual who achieves some success, then it becomes a 'company'. More success might turn it into a 'corporation' and attract venture capital (in either order). The corporation then has a Board of Directors, often heavily involving investors. The Board appoints executive officers.

And at some point, there're likely to be influences in various directions as years go by -- one VP in charge of Sales who builds up a steady maintenance stream might be replaced by someone who focuses on new product sales. Or investors might change -- some who want a steady stream for ROI might sell to some who look for a rapid turnaround of quick profit.

I.e., a 'software vendor' can be a very fluid entity that's not easy to pin down.

Just an observation; not an endorsement nor criticism of any principle. Individuals tend to be different; "software vendors" can be a varied group of individuals under a single roof.

Tom Liotta