I'll add my agreement to what Rob is saying here. I've known quite a few
entrepreneurs in my day and they are an odd breed. If one of them like
handwriting checks, I suspect that is just the way he is. If the company
is profitable and pulling in $60 million a year and the CEO wants to write
his own checks, I'd let him continue doing so. After all, it is his
investment of time and probably a way that he feels that he keeps close
tabs on what's going on.

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems
http://www.kisco.com

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Paul,

At one time the founder here stopped the automatic signing of checks.
We
still generated them by computer. However each division had to hand
sign
them. Turned out to be a pretty good edit for finding stuff that was
already paid.

Now if I could just convince my wife to balance our checkbook on
occasion
then we could see where the money is flying to...

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Paul Nelson" <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
07/24/2007 12:06 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: Software update fees (was New redpaper: i5/OS Program Conversion...)

Jon,

Before I moved out of Chicago earlier this month, I had a client ($60
million custom manufacturer; each order is unique) still running on a
model
436. The guy who wrote the software died a few years ago. Two years ago,
explained to them that there are custom manufacturing packages out there
where they would have support for the application and everything. I told
them they were working without a net. Nothing happened, except they
would
call every once in a while to help me get their machine back up and
running.
They began a project to migrate to Great Plains software, because a
relative
convinced them he could modify it to meet their needs. Then that
relative
got another job and no longer has time for the migration project. Sound
familiar?

Here's the topper: When it comes time to produce accounts payable
checks,
the clerk prints an aging list and gives it to the owner. He then pulls
out
a checkbook and hand writes each check! A $60 MILLION company! That's
something that doesn't make sense. BTW, when the owner is out of town,
the
vendors have to wait until he returns.

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978