From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Darrell A Martin
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: New redpaper: i5/OS Program Conversion: Getting readyfor
i5/OSV6R1

Michael:

You are missing something very important. That is, that "the other guys"

have just as many down-level OS users as i5/OS/400. Why do you think
there
was so much howling when Microsoft's update system broke over the
Daylight
Savings change this year? Because such a high percentage of their users
were still running an operating system released in the 1990s, that's
why.
(And I'm talking legitimate, licensed copies, still getting security
patches.)

If you compare the current installed base of any OS to the latest
release
of any other, the latest release will *always* have the advantage. No
flash of insight there. Nevertheless there are still people selling
software that runs on MS-DOS, not because they expect to get rich from
it
but because there is a market and the development costs were sunk long
ago. And you can't begin to compare the hardware reliability of the
typical PC to that of a same-era IBM midrange.

If IBM's hardware broke to the point where it couldn't be fixed, more
often, their installed base would be more modern....

If IBM's i5/OS had a cool-looking GUI as its normal interface, it would
*look* more modern....

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin - 630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations