Even with PearPC, it may be easier to port to something like the PS3 v.
the x86 platform. I don't know; it really depends on whether or not IBM
wants to write the appropriate platform interface for the SLIC to talk
to. Frankly I really doubt it'd be worth the effort.

The timeshare idea shouldn't be thrown out; it should be re-worked. IBM
(since they're the ones who need the community) could sponsor it. Set
up a big box or several small boxes and LPAR them to death. The
standard allotment would be an LPAR with 2 mirrored 70GB disks, 0.1-0.3
CPU, 1-2GB RAM, and all relevant i5/OS LPPs. Connection is via VPN
direct to the machine, which lets you run iSeries Access and WDSCi on
your own PC.

The idea is that each user (or student class or other grouping) gets
their own LPAR. They are free to IPL and do other things as they wish.
If they royally much it up IBM will restore from the last backups (1
free restore per year; additional ones cost some marginal fee).

Everyone gets a 90 day free trial. Afterwards, PIE members get the LPAR
free. Small-shop developers and private consultants could pay a small
monthly fee (a lot less than renting your own box). This gives you
access to the latest tools without having to host your own environment
and bear the associated costs.

IBM does *NONSYS backups (scheduled via BRMS) weekly and has a mandatory
quarterly downtime window to apply PTFs & IPL. No BCDR provision.
Contracts can boost the services for a fee; a service menu could be
established. Examples would include BCDR, more frequent backups,
IBM-supplied operations, additional CPU/RAM/DASD, etc.

Even with some people paying for the service I don't think IBM would
profit from this directly. This is more of a mixed
service-provider/marketing/ensuring-the-platform's-survival effort.
What income it does generates would offset some of the costs while still
allowing for PIE access and availability for the curious.