From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Ron-Zimmerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Ridiculous software transfer fees (was EDI and Inovis
fromLibraryData)

That's easy to say, but the software vendors are not getting the message.
We have a software package running on an ancient 170 in one of our
divisions and we want to move it to one of our corporate 520s. The vendor
has quoted us a fee of $10,000 to move it. (As far as I know, it's just a
save/restore with maybe entering a new software key.)

We've also had the same issue with Inovis for past upgrades and have paid
them since we have no other choice. They have given us substantial
discounts off of their "list" price for these transfers.

This is an area that IBM should be working on with the software vendors to
help with the marketing of the System i. The basic charges from IBM for
the systems has become reasonable enough that it is not a hard sell any
more, but the sticking point is these high and unreasonable additional
fees that the software vendors are expecting us to pay.

Thank you,
Ronald L. Zimmerman
I.T. Applications Manager
Swiss Valley Farms, Co. http://www.swissvalley.com