Guy,

Do you have iSeries Access installed on your PC? If that is the case, you can
install a plug-in that simplifies a lot the transfer of Data between the
iSeries and Excel.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
------------------------------

message: 9
date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:23:45 +0100
from: "Guy Terry"
subject: Query/SQL/Excel

Greetings from a rainy UK.

This is a question about getting data off the iSeries and into Excel.

I've never used Query/400, but I have been shown how to use Microsoft Query
to get data (via ODBC Connection) from our iSeries 'Tables' into Excel. And
then today I had some brief instruction in writing SQL SELECT statements to
achieve the same result.

The problem is I was using MS Query to write the SQL, and found it's not
especially suited for that task (e.g. it doesn't support Aliases). I then
found, in iSeries Navigator, the 'Run an SQL Script' option. Which is great
at writing SQL, but I can't then get my data into Excel.

So the question is what SQL 'editor' can I use to sit between an ODBC
connection to the iSeries and Excel? I realise this is not necessarily an
iSeries specific question, but I can't be the only person here who wants to
do this,

Guy

Luis Rodriguez

IBM Certified Systems Expert