From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 17:01
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Creating a view

Comments inline. See also, a response to my own post.

What I heard (read) was on a create view, database overrides are
ignored, and the base table and first member are used.
Correct. The overrides to names referenced in the CREATE VIEW
statement will not influence what file.member becomes the based on
file.member. The file named in the statement will become the based-on
file, and the member accessed by that VIEW will always be the *FIRST
member of that file.

Any selects, updates, etc. from the view must be bracketed with OVRDBF
to the correct member; i.e. overrides are honored.
Overrides to the based-on files of a VIEW will *not* enable redirect
to a [file or] member other than the one established at create-time.
Overrides are honored just as with any DML, for _the file named_ in
the statement itself. Thus DML directed against a VIEW can be
redirected to any other database file using an override, but what a VIEW

references [its based on files] can not be redirected. What a VIEW
references is established when the object is created, and that remains
static for run-time access.

If that's not the case, please correct me!
Hopefully these comments and the example in my other post clarify.

Regards, Chuck