Yeah, that's a pretty scary situation Rob... if the i5 thinks the attached
UPS has a weak battery and then senses that the UPS is on battery power
you're pretty much going down quickly, right? I know we can count on our
UPS switching to battery power at least a few times over the course of a
year...

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounce To
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Midrange Systems Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/25/2007 10:52 cc
AM
Subject
Re: Weak Battery Options
Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Pete,

We got some crappy cables made to interface with our UPS. (Ever buy a
cable place that specializes in the telecom business about 30 seconds
before that bubble broke? We ended up closing them down.) We get CPI0964
- "Weak battery condition exists." every time we IPL. Looking at one now.
For some reason this is a low priority situation. We're also led to
believe that the cables only support a few wires ?4?. So it can only
monitor for so many signals or some such thing. And, on this huge UPS we
only have certain things wired up. Perhaps that is an issue there.
This UPS also supports something called "alerts". Basically it will send
off various "alerts" to an alert server. And that will be our central
point of handling. Then the trick is to route the alerts to a UPS program
on the i5.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/24/2007 04:25 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: Weak Battery Options

Thanks Larry. I was leaning that way but it is rather peculiar that IBM
doesn't have some kind of system value to deal with the weak UPS battery
condition. The equivalent being the cache battery on the RAID
controller. IBM doesn't automatically degrade the disk performance,
they first give you a heads up and later degrade the disks when they
calculate that its time to replace the battery. It would be nice if IBM
had a setting that gave you the option of issuing a warning message on
the weak battery condition and a time frame of up to 30 seconds of
outage before shutting down the system on a loss of power with weak
batteries. Just assuming that the weak batteries aren't enough to
handle even the most transitory of power flickers seems an bit extreme.

Having JUST replaced my cache batteries last week, I am suffering from
battery fatigue I guess. I'll trundle down to my favorite battery place
tomorrow and pick up some new ones....hopefully before Rocky Mountain
Power sends me a "flicker" again. Once I take care of that I WILL take
a look at a program to be more reasonable about when to shut down the
system.

Pete

Larry Bolhuis wrote:
The short term solution is to pull the cable from the UPS to the 270. Of

course this way if there is a real power outage you run until those weak

old batteries area actually dead and then 'thud'.

Better would be a program handing the power rather than IBMs build in
code. This way you can do whatever you want. Set a message queue other
than QSYSOPR (something like QUPSMSGQ for example) .and then set a break

handling program on queue. The program then does what YOU want it to do.

Best of course is new batteries. But you knew that. :-)

- Larry

Pete Helgren wrote:

It is set for 300 on this 270. I *think* that means that it should
wait
for 5 minutes before beginning the shutdown but it appears that when it

detects a "weak battery condition" then it ignores the value and just
shuts down on its own.

Pete

Lukas Beeler wrote:

What's your System Value QUPSDLYTIM set to?

It should _NEVER_ be on *CALC with "normal" Systems. I usually have
set
it to 300.

*CALC is only used for Systems with an internal UPS. Those no longer
exist. And the 270 didn't have an internal UPS.

list