Object damage is discussed in the Appendix I of the Redbooks publication SG24-8253-00 or its -01 draft version:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG248253.html?Open

Although RCLSTG can not correct 'physical' damage to any object, the processing by the request may delete some damaged objects, which in effect may be the required resolution to a problem -- thus appearing to correct the problem, even though it did not [because it can not] ever correct any physical damage. However objects that can be corrected in that manner are usually corrected instead by the run-time feature that uses the object, and thus would not require a reclaim to effect that; e.g. queues for features that are not expected to survive a crash, should be deleted by the feature upon first touch after the IPL from a crash, and a message logged of its impact -- like cpf32A1 does

Reclaim storage _notifies_ of existing damage; i.e. after a reclaim, there should be a CPF81## [and CPF82## ?; I just review both] message for each damaged object for which the operator then should optionally perform [object & data] recovery, by restoring or creating a good object, and then copying the data from the damaged object to the new object. After each reclaim issue DSPLOG QHST (( span reclaim )) MSGID(CPF8100 CPF8200) to review which objects need to be deleted and perhaps recovered depending on what object and what data.

Logical damage is more likely to be corrected by a reclaim; i.e. where the object is logically incorrect, in a manner whereby some specific actions [typically only by design] has some intention of resolving that type of logical error. For example, when a constraint definition does not exist on the dataspace, but the database directory claims one does, the database directory cleanup will remove that bogus constraint definition from the file.

Regards, Chuck
-- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever and may not represent positions, strategies, nor views of my employer

Turnidge, Dave wrote:
Sure glad I used the word "may"... However, some times these (broadly
speaking) "kinds" of problems are corrected by RCLSTG - and sometimes
the message includes that as a recommendation. But, this is a good
learning experience!!

Where would us lowly users find this information on our own? Is it
available to us anywhere?