Scott,

I'm pretty sure I've never posted an example of code for an HTTP server!

It wouldn't be a full flown HTTP server, as it would never be serving pages
per se. It would just be listening and responding to the couple of specific
requests from the off-site hosted web server which needs to collect XML data
sets. It would not be contacted by clients directly (or so I thought).
Isn't it the server's ASP page logic which would be asking me for the data
then building the page to present to the client? (The site uses IIS and ASP
-- it wasn't setup by me...)

Oh yeah, and you'll need to be very careful about the potential security
issues. Write your code perfectly so that there aren't any :)

I was thinking the requests would only be coming form the host site, so the
firewall would be configured to reject every other IP. And perhaps also use
a different port so that the ASP page would connect to myi5.com:8080 or
whatever.

Seems silly when Apache is free, but... it might be fun :) It's the
sort of project I'd enjoy.

I don't want to reinvent the whole HTTP wheel. But I was viewing this more
as a relatively simple socket exchange between the off-site IIS server and
the i5, not a connection with the end user browsers. I just figured the IIS
server would send the requests expecting a HTTP server on my end.

I think it makes more "business sense" to just use Apache like everyone
else.

If I have to dela with clients directly, than by all means yes. And if that
lets me use SSL easily but there is no easy way for me to do SSL or
equivalent otherwise, than that argues for using Apache too. I just figured
running Apache would take many more resources than a relatively simple
socket program such as those in your tutorials.

Doug