IBM has been slowly moving away from IOPS for quite some time now toward cards that are driven by the CPU directly. Based on that it is extremely unlikely that they would create any special hardware anywhere to handle virtual IOPs and IOAs. Considering that they work on machines as far back as model 6xx it must be true. So these things don't really exist and are handled by the main CPU of the system, therefore if you make significant use of them you may add some CPU load. However consider what you are doing with them and you'll likely see the I/O load is what's really impacted. For example virtual tape usage drive huge I/O loads to the disks containing your virtual tape images. It's unlikely the CPU utilization to send the data is significant - remember all the virtual stuff is memory to memory (Virtual LAN, virtual Optical, Virtual Tape) it's all in the DASD I/O where the things truly add load.

- Larry

qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Not too long ago, the IOPs and other secondary processors in AS/400s were commonly thought about as being part of off-loading some processing from the main system CPU(s). Do any of you out there have ideas about how virtual IOPs might make a difference?

As many thoughts as I have about what a "virtual IOP" really is, there are one or two aspects that aren't really clicking in my picture of one.

Tom Liotta