Could someone point me to a document or manual where I can get a quick understanding of the advantages and disadvantages for using and accessing modules and service programs vs. separately compiled *PGM objects from ILE COBOL? All of them would be ILE COBOL. TIA

That's a very broad topic, perhaps best covered in a school or tutorial setting. I don't personally know of any: COMMON just ended, which would have been a great venue for this question (and those sure to follow.)

I have a feeling that you haven't had the opportunity to try out a service program yet. Like so many things, the worst part of this process is working up the motivation to get started in the first place.

The best sort of initial service program is a clear-cut function. Imagine having to write a function that takes a US format date as input and returns an *ISO date as its output. One parameter and a return value.

I'd advise giving it a whirl and seeing how it goes. Read the ILE Concepts book (http://www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter) and then do the first service program. Add a new function (subprocedure) to convert from *ISO to US format and work through the issues that arise. Then read the ILE Concepts manual again. It made more sense to me the second go round :-)

When you start working on it, post specific examples of what you expect, what you tried and what you got (probably on the Cobol list) and someone will be able to be more helpful than this.
--buck