On 5/7/07, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For once, I am just going to present something and keep my mouth shut.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070504_002027_comments.html

excellent find Joe.

scrolling thru the comments I saw Cringley had this to say:

"...I'll ignore for the moment your pejorative use of the term
"liberal" and cut to the substance of your remarks -- that this column
is based on the whining of people who either have or are about to lose
their jobs. It isn't. I spoke to many people from IBM in the last
week, but none of those referred to in this column have lost their
jobs or are even in danger of losing their jobs. I try to speak to the
people best qualified to comment and those are in this case teh ones
generally charged with making the new system work. IBM isn't stupid.
The company will make an effort to do this in a way that causes as
little collateral damage as possible, which means relying even more on
its strongest contributors. And these very able, if harried, folks
have a fair chance of saving the day. But they aren't whining to me,
they are annoyed. They are tired of having to save the day. They are
people all of us can admire and most of us would be better for
emulating. And that makes their reluctantantly-held positions all the
more eloquent. ..."

"...YOU are calling names, not me. I don't write this stuff for fun.
If you are tired of thoughtful prose, by all means read something
else. ..."

My latest thinking is that programming and admining of computers is
getting more complicated, not less. Or maybe you have to learn a lot
more building blocks and components than you once did. Just as an
example, if you can complete all the lessons here:
http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/default.aspx?tabid=63
or learn active directory or the IBM equivalent, or web services, you
are not going to be hurt by outsourcing.

-Steve