I had a similar situation six or seven years ago, when a client of mine
bought a 720 in the used marketplace. It had a 44- serial number. When I
called to get license keys, the entitlement people told me that the machine
couldn't possibly be in the U.S. I said it must be, because it had been
running right next to me for over a month.

This went on for several weeks. I finally had to lie and claim a "Machine
down" condition when I called. Somehow, that got me past the idiots in the
entitlement department and onto the phone. The issue was resolved in about
10 minutes.

IBM has made things worse recently, in that when I needed to discuss a
software licensing issue, I spoke first to somebody (unintelligible) in
India, then was transferred to somebody (also unintelligible) in Canada,
then to somebody (barely understandable) in Brazil, and then finally to
somebody in Atlanta.

I sympathize with you, Clare. I suggest that if your software maintenance
agreements are all paid up, you need to speak to a real IBM employee in the
UK, rather than beating your head against the wall with the entitlement
schmoes.

Is anybody at IBM listening? I'm still waiting to collect my $1,000 from
Mark Shearer. Hey Larry, can you remind him when you see him today?

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978
Office 708-425-4198
nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx