From: midrange-l-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Pete Helgren
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 10:24 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: New i5 Express Models

Jon,

Wasn't aware of the disparity. If you want, I'll open another shop in
Canada and send you a 515 :-) (My 17 year old wants to go to Canada
for his 18th birthday [Hmmm, why would he want to do that?] so I could drive
it up to you.....)

Pete

Jon Paris wrote:
Which would be great if I needed all that horsepower - but I don't.

>> I haven't seen the full pricer, but theoretically a development
machine for 5 users and the 50% developer discount would come in at around
$5500.

And that's the rub Pete. If I could get that I'd buy one tomorrow.
But I can't get the developer discount. _If_ I was based in the U.S.
it is just possible that I could sufficiently bend the current rules
to (sort of) qualify - but I'm based in Canada and my experience with
the BP program here is that it is pretty lousy. In fact I know
Canadian software houses who opened US development "offices" to
qualify for the US program. Not only do we pay a premium on the
hardware cost, but we don't get the free software that is available to BPs
in the US. That just adds to the cost.

Just to give you another example - a while back they had a special
where they reinstated the 1% lease and offered reasonably configured
270 models in the US for about $11K. They ran the same program in
Canada but slapped a Cdn$25K minimum on it! The US minimum was $7,000!

I'm told by colleagues elsewhere in the world that I should be happy
because the BP programs are even worse there than here in Canada.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com