in a nutshell....the easiest way to alleviate some of the greivances
mentioned in this thread is for IBM to make i5/OS available for all
platforms (ain't gonna happen though). I'd love to have i5/OS running on
my home PC...in a dual boot setup that is. forgot who said it...but I
agree on the iSeries Nav to green screen operations tasks..why can't they
provide full access to all functions in BOTH Nav and green screen instead
of having to switch back and forth just to perform simple tasks???

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

"albartell" <albartell@xxxxxxxxx>
04/11/2007 01:18 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: IBM will announce two new System i models, 515 and 525 on Apr. 10.

My hope is that with some help from IBM, we can "pre-package" a common
(and
Open Source) set of applications to resell to customers. The systems
would
basically be pre-packaged and ready to install and remotely administer.

This caught my eye. Do you have packages in mind? Here are a couple to
keep in mind:

Enterprise Content Management (ECM) - Java - http://www.alfresco.com/
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) - PHP -
http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) - Java - http://www.openbravo.com

There are too many more to count that are solid, open source, and free
solutions out there. Somebody could make some serious money shipping
iSeries system preconfigured with a bunch of these applications out of the
box.

Aaron Bartell