From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:32 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM will announce two new System i models, 515 and 525 on Apr.
10.

Basically the pitch was they *can't* enforce it and are relying on the
licensing owner to enforce the licensing requirements. They didn't say that
it was the "honor system" but that was about as good a description as I
could give it. IBM has the right to audit your user entitlements as part of
the licensing agreement so I suppose they could come in and determine just
how your users are authenticating to the System i. But
*would* they? I doubt it. You can either be honest about it or dishonest,
I guess. Over time they may have better tools to monitor it. For now, it
is up to the licensing entity to be straight with them.

I had seen this information back in February as well and the whole "counting
users" issue hasn't changed since the original pitch.

Pete

albartell wrote:
It didn't make any difference whether the authenticating user was a
System

i user profile or one of your own users in your own database. If
there was a process that involved uniquely identifying a user and
passing a userid and password, it was "authenticating" and was using a
User Entitlement that would have to be paid for.

No possible way they can enforce this. I am guessing they meant to
say something else.

Aaron Bartell