Von: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Caura
Gesendet: Sunday, April 01, 2007 22:53
An: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Betreff: Re: SQL, Logical Files, Unions & Indexes.

Birgitta,

in the original message Mike talked about an Index over a series of
analogous tables in different libraries.
He stated that it's not possible to create an index over all the tables, and

I don't know of any way either.
(or is there ?) .
As you mention "with the right indexing strategie SQL performs much better
than natibe I/O" .
Therefore it should be possible to create indexes over multiple tables, just

as it is possible to make logical files over multiple files? . (I cannot see
how views, without indexes, are more powerfull than  logical
files)

So the only solution at the moment -as I see it, the same that Mike
suggested,-
is to create a DDS described Logical file over all these tables (or PFs). In
this case I don't see another way but "A DDS described logical file has to
be used in the SQL-statement ". and therefore "with the logical (the one
over all the tables) the new SQE will not be
used" .

Any suggestions or alternatives are more than welcome.

luc