And the "One" i5/OS partition is the i5/OS that ships with the system, isn't it?

I was hoping to get one more in addition to the "base" i5/OS partition.
Thanks for the information.

Pete

Philipp Rusch wrote:
Hello Pete,
it's exactly like that:
with Virtual Partition Manager (VPM) you can handle one i5/OS-partition and up to four Linux-partitions. There are other restrictions on POWER 5 as well: the worst for me is to have only one virtual LAN per Linux-partition between that Linux and i5/OS. That is, there is no way to have an "Inter-Partition VLAN" between all Linux partitions. And, even worse, this is even true when you have only one Linux but you want this partition to have a common VLAN with IXS- or IXA-attached (Windows)-Servers. WIth an HMC you can define all of these VLANs without restrictions, so this is not a lack of the POWER 5
hardware or the LIC, it is simply not manageable through VPM.

HTH,
Philipp

Pete Helgren schrieb:
And to piggy back on this question, do all LPAR activities require an HMC? I thought that you could use the VPM tool to create and manage the partition but the document you referenced seems to indicate that all LPARing has to be done from an HMC. The Redbook on VPM seems to indicate that the VPM can only be used for Linux. Does that mean then that i5/OS partitions can only be created and managed with an HMC? This about the only thing I am unclear on when it comes to LPAR's.

Thanks,

Pete Helgren

Jim Franz wrote:
Can anyone speak to the performance of 2 lpars on a model 520 Express #0901 (1000 cpw, 2 gig memory) ?
One production, 20-30 light to moderate green screen rpg users,
and 3 developers on 2nd lpar.
Charts say it can take up to 4 lpars. Have never lpar'd such a small box. Already have the 520. jim franz