Hi Mike,

The system table SYSIXADV was introduced with release V5R4. In this table
all from either CQE (classic query engine) or SQE (SQL Query engine) adviced
indexes are stored, including how often was this index adviced and when it
was adviced for the last time. Also information about maintained temporary
indexes (MTI), i.e. temporary indexes created by the SQE that can be used by
all jobs and remain existent until the last reference to this index
disapears from the SQE plan cache.

If your production machine is not yet on release V5R4 you'll not find this
table.

Before release V5R4 you have several other methods to analyze your SQL
statements to determine whether an index is adviced or not:
1. Before executing a SQL statement interactively or calling a program with
embedded SQL, just execute the CL-Command STRDBG (Start Debug). Now almost
all SQL messages (including index advices) get stored in the joblog.
2. Execute the SQL-Statement with iSeries Navigator's Run an SQL script and
use Visual Explain to analyze the SQL statement. Visual Explain has an
integrated index advisor, that shows and allows you to create all adviced
3. Start an Database/Performance monitor with either the CL command STRDBMON
or with iSeries Navigator and analyze the result after.

For more information about SQL optimization just have a look at the
following redbooks:
SQL Performance Diagnosis on IBM DB2 Universal Database for iSeries (based
on Release V5R3)
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246654.html?Open

OnDemand SQL Performance Analysis Simplified on DB2 for i5/OS in V5R4
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247326.html?Open

Database Performance and Query Optimization
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzajq/rzajq.pdf

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
"What is worse than training your staff and losing them?  Not training them
and keeping them!"