Mike -

First a vendor comment.  If you are looking at the RSA SecurID version of
the 2 factor token, Safestone provides a solution whereby you can use that
on authenticating to the System i.   Feel free to contact me offline if you
need any information.

Personally, working in the security space I see a real split between how
passwords are enforced.  Some organizations are so driven by ease of use for
the business, that they make the rules simple, and therefore unsafe.  Others
who have been pushed by impractical auditors enforce very strong rules, and
then we see the passwords written down or stored - as people have already
commented.

One thing I rarely see is password training / advice for the users.  Ideally
what the users need to be told is some strategies for creating a password
which fits the organizations medium strength rules that they will remember.
Otherwise abuse will always occur.

Regards

Martin A Norman
Technical Services
SafeStone Technologies
mnorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1-215-540-8517 ext. 8018

This email and/or attachments are privileged and confidential and intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify us immediately. Disclosure, distribution or copying of this email
other than by the addressee is strictly prohibited. The company does not
warrant that the information is free of a virus or any other defect that may
affect the recipient's computer system and it is your responsibility to scan
attachments (if any).

message: 6
date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:10:51 -0500
from: "Mike Cunningham" <mcunning@xxxxxxx>
subject: RE: password policy and system rules

We are looking at the random password generators that people have to
carry with them at all times. New password every 60 seconds. I would
like to be able to do the fingerprint option but in addition to the
1,200 employees we also have 7,000 students. Any both of these groups
work from campus, from home and on the road. I can't provide fingerprint
readers at that volume. I think biometrics has reached the point where
PC manufactures should start including them on everything they make and
motherboard BIOS's setup to use them. In 5 years the majority of the PCs
in use would not have passwords to deal with.