Aaron,

I'm not an expert and I don't know details about latest Notes
implementations either.

But, on Communigate Pro, I know it runs "natively" on i5OS (no Java, no
partitions),  it creates a Library with commands and stores
configurations and messages on IFS (much like native SMTP).

We did point all of it to a different IP and restrict or bind specific
some i5OS services to better control all environment.

It can use Outlook (and others) as a POP client, it has an add-on for
enabling MAPI and / or collaboration. One good feature we use a lot is
Webmail.

There are a few nice modules we've tested but don't use yet, such as SIP
and PBX integration.

Lately almost all good "E-mail Servers" are now changing to
"Communication Servers" wich includes  mail (local or not),
collaboration (mostly shared files and calendars), sound (voicemail,
phone integration, chat), image (chat)...

Original SMTP server is far away from that, but if you need only to send
simple mail it's still an alternative, if you plan something else try
Lotus, Communigate, MS or other "Communication Server".

Regards,

Rubens