Yes you can use Outlook for a client against a Domino Server.
Actually email came later to Notes.  The databases, workflows, etc, came
first.

If you see ".nsf" that's a Notes database.  Like this website that lists
the PTF's:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/GroupPTFs?OpenView&view=GroupPTFs
http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/as4ptfhome
etc

or this website, that is all Domino based.  Which has links to inquire
into your BPCS open orders.
http://www.dekko.com
We tried to use Web Facing.  However, our Domino developer could get
things done faster.

It does require 5722JV1 be loaded on your server.  And when IBM dropped
one level of Java with V5R3 you did have to upgrade your Domino past R5
because R5 required that older JV1.
However it's a heck of a lot more Native than a PASE based application.
For instance if I do a WRKDOMSVR I can see 11 DPARs or Domino partitions,
on one lpar alone:
Domino
Server                Subsystem
GDSHELP               GDSHELP
DOMFAX01              DOMFAX01
GDDATA                GDDATA
GDSSALES              GDSSALES
LEISERVE              LEISERVE
NOTES01               NOTES01
QUALITY               QUALITY
SAMETIME01            SAMETIME01
OAKFARM01             OAKFARM01
more...
Notice that each runs in it's own Subsystem?
9=Work server jobs
               Current
Subsystem/Job  User        Type  CPU %  Function        Status
GDSHELP        QSYS        SBS      .0                   DEQW
  ADMINP       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-ADMINP       SELW
  AMGR         QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-AMGR         SELW
  AMGR         QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-AMGR         CNDW
  CALCONN      QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-CALCONN      CNDW
  CLDBDIR      QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-CLDBDIR      CNDW
  CLREPL       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-CLREPL       SELW
  COLSRV400    QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-COLSRV400    SELW
  DIIOP        QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-DIIOP        SELW
  EVENT        QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-EVENT        SELW
  HTTP         QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-HTTP         SELW
  QNNINSTS     QNOTES      BCH      .0  PGM-QNNINSTS     EVTW
  REPLICA      QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-REPLICA      SELW
  RNRMGR       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-RNRMGR       SELW
  ROUTER       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-ROUTER       SELW
  SCHED        QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SCHED        SELW
  SERVER       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SERVER       SELW
  SMDEMF       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SMDEMF       SELW
  SMDMON       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SMDMON       SELW
  SMDREAL      QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SMDREAL      SELW
  SMDSCH       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-SMDSCH       SELW
  UPDATE       QNOTES      BCI      .0  PGM-UPDATE       SELW

Try and do that with a PASE based application!

And if you use the Domino console command SHOW TASKS, it somewhat matches
what you see above.

Ok, it likes to have QSHELL installed.  I think it's mainly used for some
utilities.  Like DMPSVRSTKS.  It's an i5/OS command but it fires up a
qshell to, not only do the stuff you typically see with DSPJOB and
DSPJOBLOG, but also displays threads and semaphores, etc used by these
Domino jobs.  Only used for certain support calls.