Double checked with my boss.  You have to be quite clear on the exact part
numbers you are ordering.  You will pay significantly more for the higher
density chips, but if you are planning for growth and are planning on
using the extra slots then it might behoove you to do so.  That is why IBM
does it this way, to keep your initial cost way down.  But if your
paperwork specifically said you are ordering a higher density chip and IBM
gives you the same amount of memory, but it lower density chips then you
have one of two legs to stand on.
If IBM only charged you for the lower price chips then they should offer
you an upgrade path.  However, it would look better if you checked the
order with what you received at installation time, not when you go to
upgrade.
If IBM charged you for the higher density chip then they plain ripped you
off.