Larry,

From a conversation with my BP, it's my understanding that IBM doesn't allow
you to order memory configured to take best advantage of the i5's available
slots. When we ordered a 520 with 8GB of memory last year, I specifically
requested that the memory be configured so as to take up the fewest number
of available slots. I expected to receive a machine with 2 - 4GB DIMMs
installed leaving 6 open slots. What I received was a machine with 8 - 1GB
DIMMs leaving no available slots. I questioned the BP and they questioned
the distributor (AvNet) who together called IBM Rochester and reported back
that they were lectured on memory configuration and that the gist was IBM
will configure the memory to use the greatest number of slots no matter what
memory feature is ordered. So in our case, just as you've described, we will
leave memory on the table when we upgrade which is an additional backdoor
cost for the i5 memory. Very frustrating!

Kind regards,

BJ