I have tried gftp, and couldn't get it to remember my login credentials
for different sites. I maintain around 30 different web sites, and that
was a show stopper for me. VirgoFTP can, although it does have its
little quirks too. I have had no problem running X in the 3 years or so
since I dumped Red Hat in favor of Slackware, although configuration is
still not painless. It just doesn't, imho render text as cleanly as
windows. It also doesn't seem to produce 3D highlight and shadow as
well. It works, but it simply isn't as pleasing to look at. That's not a
show stopper, but it's certainly a factor. Then there's the problem of
whether to run Gnome, which looks great, but is incredibly difficult to
compile, or KDE, which is a little more kludgey, and enormously
inefficient, or possibly another windows manager, like XFCE, which is
small and easy, but doesn't come with a lot of bells and whistles.
That's what I use so I still use pieces of KDE to fill some of the app
gaps. I'd really like to see Linux succeed, but as of today, there are
issues in the workstation department.

I don't mean to imply that Linux is bad and Windows is good. I'm
frustrated with Windows too. Installing software on W2K is always a crap
shoot that may corrupt the system beyond repair. As you say, it does
crash more often than seems reasonable, usually because of some 3rd
party software, which really shouldn't be able to crash the system, but
often does.

Pete Hall
pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://pbhall.us

jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Have you tried gftp?  If so, in what why is it inferior to WS_FTP?

I'm not sure what your issues are with X, but I am wondering if there is a
configuration issue.  Years ago on Red Hat 6 (for example), X configation was
not pleasant.  Newer versions appear to do a much better job of guessing the
details of the monitor resolution as well as the video card
capabilities.  But,
there is always the potential to have hardware that is not fully
supported yet. There are any number of reasons for that, but support is
improving all the time.

At work, I use Windows.  Really irritating to receive a snotty message stating
that some application has done something wrong and will be terminated.
Particularly so when the application is IE running on a properly patched
system.  I have also had this dreaded box rear up on me while creating rather
complex reports using Crystal Report Writer.  Glitches I have seen in Linux
have been far less frustrating.

John McKee

Quoting Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>
The X
graphical display is inferior to Windows. If there's a graphical FTP
client available as good as WS_FTP I haven't found it, and I've looked.
The best I've been able to do is VirgoFTP. Compare PhotoShop with GIMP.
One's free, the other not, but still... Even web browsers, don't render
as well on Linux as on Windows (same browsers, same versions, but on
Linux they must use X). Acrobat reader has the same issue.

Pete Hall
pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://pbhall.us

Lukas Beeler wrote:
If your windows machines crashes three times during a day, then the
problem is most likely NOT windows.

a) Faulty Hardware (most likely your RAM, memtest86)
b) Virus/Spyware (check your security strategy)

Security Fixes once per month isn't that bad. And Microsoft Word is a
tool you will need to learn how to use it. You can't use it the same way
as an 8 year old Lotus Office Suite, or like OfficeVision/400. You will
need to learn on how to use such a tool to your advantage.

Save for some special circumstances, there's no real alternative to
Windows as a Desktop, and even Server OS for managing your Desktops. I
suggest you to learn to work with this platform, and learn to workaround
all those quirks.

Every platform has it's fair share of problems. i5/OS can't change the
link speed of an ethernet card while the interface is up, it can't do
full saves while the system is operating, and so on.

Just learn to deal with it.