A "trigger" program will be your best option. You can write it in RPG, and it will update the date and time stamp for every change you make to the record. The SQL (and any other program) just need to do theyr work, the trigger will set the date and time. Even if you udate the record using dfu. You don't need to wory about the programs that already set the time, tehy will still work. When you ADDPFTRG you can choose if the trigger will fire for every update or only if something changes.
Valerio Vincenti wrote:

I have a number of mass database updates where SQL would be very convenient instead of writing RPG programs.
The complication is that my UPDATE statement also needs to populate a couple of
audit fields: a 7 digit numeric field that holds the Last Change Date (CYYMMDD
format) and a 6 digit numeric field for the Last Change Time (HHMMSS format).

For example, a record updated on Jan 20, 2007 at 11:30:43AM should be updated
with Change Date = 1070120 and Change Time = 113043 (since we are already in
the third millennium, I don't need to be concerned with the zero century digit
for dates earlier than 2000).

Is there a way to retrieve the current date and time into my UPDATE statement
and format them to obtain the time stamp fields that I need?

Thank you!