Hi:

We build a lot of this kind of thing (International Trucks is one of our
larger customers). The industry term is "Telematics" and it goes way
beyond GPS to things like, "Your engine's third cylinder will probably
fail in the next four hours, find a mechanic soon." But there is still the
capability for the driver's cell phone to ring with the message, "You
started in Detroit, you are supposed to go to New York, you are in Topeka.
We know your girlfriend is in Albuquerque. Turn east now, and we'll go
easy on you."

RFID is not the right technology. That stuff is either passive, or emits
at low enough power that it can only be picked up by a nearby scanner.
It's great for knowing what is on a truck once you can get it to hold
still; not capable of telling you where the truck itself is, until it
"checks in" at a scanning point. There may be exceptions of which I'm not
aware, but online ads show that some vendors tout 10 meters as "long
distance" RFID and the longest I have seen mentioned is 100 meters.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations
dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx