When IBM first bought the product, they offered a number
of classes to business partners. I attended one in Atlanta
and the most interesting discussion I heard in two days
was the infamous "What exactly does this product do ?"

I never heard a complete answer and the Lotus folks were
the ones putting on this seminar. They could not for the
life of anybody accurately describe "exactly" what the
product did.

"It does a lot !!!" was my personal favorite.

The biggest thrust of the two days was that you could NOT
make money actually selling Domino, all the money comes
from "services" to the customer.

At the time, it was pointed out that Domino didn't do
email "exactly", but it was a great "interface" to email.

I never did learn what it did and never tried to market
the product.

Michael Ryan wrote:

I realize I lead a sheltered life, but is Domino for workflow in
particular and Domino for email in general all that popular? I don't
know of anyone running it around here, but that's probably my limited
world view. Are there any stats regarding installed base?