"Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mailman.949.1168606768.12056.midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael,

Not sure what you are talking about.  If you can explain what it is,
that would help.

Sorry about that. Generation data sets are like datasets that have a
system-managed identifier as part of their physical name. You initially
define the GDS to the OS, defining its attributes and how many "versions"
the system should manage for you. If you define 3 versions, when you create
a new one and there are already 3, version #1 (the oldest) will be
automatically purged. When you want to access the GDS, you can explicitly
specify a specific version (give me #23) , or you can say "last" (most
recent) or "first" (oldest).

This can be a very handy mechanism when you need to keep up with "sets" of
data from certain sources and you want to manage a certain number of files
within each "set".

Does that make it any more clear? The IBM MVS system supports native GDS and
it is very useful. VSE (what we run) unfortunately does not provide this;
hence, they developed a "home grown" mechanism. It's not perfect, but it
works.