Well...it's a done deal now. I'll go just for the sammich!

Man...

On 1/9/07, pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx <pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You come all that way, and I'll treat you to one. Sweet or hot peppers?
Wet or dry?
--

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.

"Michael Ryan" <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx>
01/09/2007 11:45 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: IBM and the vanishing System i

If I was in the Chicagoland area, I might just do that.

But being a Michigander, I'll just think about going to the
conference. 5 hour drive, and Chicago is one of my favorite cities. I
could get an Italian beef...be still my beating heart. And a good
Italian beef could do that.

On 1/9/07, pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx <pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We're working on it. We have a meeting tonight to finalize things. Good
> things come to those who wait.....
>
> Besides, we're just a user group, run by volunteers. Wanna help?
> --
>
> Paul Nelson
> Arbor Solutions, Inc.
> 708-670-6978  Cell
> pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> "Michael Ryan" <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 01/09/2007 11:33 AM
> Please respond to
> Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: IBM and the vanishing System i
>

> The web site says...Details/Registration soon!
>
> Now would be cool...
>
> On 1/9/07, pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx <pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Let it go, guys. OMNI has been planning an SOA session at our February
> > tech conference for quite a while. You are all welcome to join us. Our
> web
> > site is: www.omniuser.org       We're even having 2 different half-day
> > labs the day before the conference.
> > --
> >
> > Paul Nelson
> > Arbor Solutions, Inc.
> > 708-670-6978  Cell
> > pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > "DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+pnelson=arbsol.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 01/09/2007 11:13 AM
> > Please respond to
> > Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> > RE: IBM and the vanishing System i
> >

> > Um, I guess I don't see how "opposition to SOA" would have bearing on
> this
> > omission....  Surely I'm not mistaken that SOA is the basis for most
IBM
> > middleware currently being produced, and that SOA is clearly the focus
> of
> > IBM's developer roadmap....  So, why omit an entire server family from
> > this paradigm?  Such discrimination just reinforces the "legacy" image
> of
> > our platform.
> >
> > IBM can't even be counted upon to mention System i in its development
> > redbooks, so why would we expect anything BUT opposition to this
> > technology....
> >
> > I was fortunate to be able to attend an SOA workshop at the IBM TEC in
> > Dallas.  IBM has the tooling and the necessary resources to support
SOA
> > development on System i, but that message never quite gets
communicated
> > properly.  It concerns me a great deal.....
> >
> > Eric

World
> -
> > including here on Midrange-L, why would IBM consider it a value
> > proposition
> > to run on System i?
> >
> > I hear a large Chicago user group named OMNI has dropped SOA from its
> > upcoming conference. If SOA is dropped from System i conferences, no
> > wonder
> > IBM SOA documents ignore the System i platform.
> >
> > Trevor

Nor
> > is
> > > there anything in the entire 754 page Redpaper, either.
> > >
> > > It's possible that we're left out because this is all due to cool
DB2
> V9
> > > features, but I guess I don't understand why those features are
> > available
> > > for z/OS and not for i5/OS.
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >
> > > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247259.html
> > >

> > > Abstract
> > > Flexibility in business has become equal in importance with
> operational
> > > efficiency. Service-oriented architecture (SOA) can help businesses
> > > respond
> > > more quickly and cost-effectively to the changing market conditions
by
> > > promoting reuse and interconnection of existing IT assets rather
than
> > > time-consuming and costly reinvention.
> > >
> > > SOA has been the top fashionable topic in IT for a few years now.
This
> > is
> > > because there is a consensus of opinions among enterprise architects
> > that
> > > SOA is the key to making the IT department a catalyst for growth and
> > > innovation.
> > >
> > > This IBM Redbook helps you get started with SOA by showing the
> > > implementation of the minimum requirements: The creation of Web
> services
> > > that allow access to data that is stored in data servers or
> applications
> >
> > > and
> > > the realization of interaction services for business to consumer
> > > integration. The data servers included in our scenario are DB2 for
> z/OS,
> >
> > > DB2
> > > for Linux, UNIX and Windows, Informix Dynamic Server and IMS.
> > >
> > > This redbook is a roadmap showing how SOA can significantly improve
> the
> > IT
> > > business value.
> >
> > --