From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 6:14 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: AW: Slashdiot article about P6

And the system is highly "SUT" (stupid user tolerant).  I misread the
documentation, and attempted to load an entire set of cumes and group PTFs
at one time.  The link loader blew up; I had loaded too many PTFs.

A failure of this magnitude on just about any other operating system would
involve at the very least rebuilding the machine from scratch and probably
reinstalling all software and reloading the last data backup as well.

With OS/400, I called IBM and they walked me through "slipping the LIC" -
basically, reloading the operating system UNDERNEATH all the application
data.  After about an hour and a half, I was good to go without touching a
single backup tape.

I then reapplied my cumes and groups according to the directions, and didn't
get a hiccup.

Joe