On 1/6/07, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What about Zend? Would be great if that company bought i5/OS. They know how
to write great software.

This sounds like a rash statement, but I am going to ask anyways... What
have they written that is even close to an operating system like OS/400
(a.k.a. i5/OS). Having the most popular web programming language doesn't
mean they can consume an operating system.

Aaron,

I dont think IBM itself knows how to write an OS anymore. This is not
a slight, OSes and languages are not the core part of their business
that they once were.
Something as important as making the OS threadsafe so that Java could
be fully integrated - IBMers could not accomplish this.  Based on
ITJungle reporting, the QCM ( quad core modules ) used in the p5 since
summer 2006 dont run well in the i5 because of cache memory issues.
The new p6 will not be used in the i5 until 2008 if ever. Just
guessing, but getting an OS to run at rated speeds on new processors
is likely not a plug and play sort of thing.  I dont think the i5
division is being giving the resources it needs to compete. The i5
should be sold to a leaner, focused company that can keep the system
current.

Could Zend do it? Why not? Hire a bunch of Linux kernel experts. Then
turn the system into a PHP engine or something.

-Steve