From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 2:07:40 PM
Subject: Re: moving an i5

Neil,

  Even yanking the power cords you won't lose cache data. They have then
fancy new fangled things called batteries keeping the cache up. :-) If
the cache batteries were flagged as dead then the system won't be using
the cache so you're still not at risk. Then when would you lose data?
Two ways I'm aware of. 1) Keep the power off long enough for the cache
batteries to fail. I know this one does it, don't ask me how I know.
:-)  2) Swapping the RAID card or drives around when there is data in
the cache. This is where you get the message demanding that the cache on
the IOA be reclaimed. It slaps you all around with messages about lost
data, damaged objects etc. and it's not kidding!

Them boys in Rochester they think about dern near everything!

Me and 'Old Red' (my Dodge Pickup) have moved tons (litteraly) of
System i family gear thousands of miless without so much as a lost
byte.  Gotta reseat a card or a drive now and then but thats as bad as
it gets.

  - Larry

ps: I still prefer *CNTRLD myself if it's workable, just making sure
folks realize how good this box is.

Neil Palmer wrote:
Agree on the *CNTRLD for other reasons (like killing Domino servers
immediately, etc.).  However, the only way you should lose cache data is if
you yank the power out from under the system (no UPS, or UPS failure, or
unplug the system from the UPS).  Even a PWRDWNSYS *IMMED is going to take
it's time shutting down (see system value QPWRDWNLMT).

Neil Palmer, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)