From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richter,Steve
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 2:42 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: The One Percent Club

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:10 PM
To: midrange list

Steve Richter wrote:
I read the article as IBM giving up on i5/OS the OS
and repositioning it as a superior way to run other
operation systems.

Your messages are as full of guile and artifice as they ever were,
Steve.

gosh, thanks for the kind words Nathan.

There are a number of threads running through Frank Soltis's comments.
He's an advocate
of common hardware and software across all platforms.  He may support
homogeneous
branding, too.  But his major theme is the idea of managing multiple
runtime environments
through shared hardware and a single console, where I5/OS is in
control.  He's advocating
server consolidation.

good for IBM, not good for those running i5/OS ( no improvements planned
for i5/OS )

Bring in Windows, Unix, Linux, and I5/OS, under the control of I5/OS,
and Power
processors.  His strategy is an alternative to the proliferation of
disparate systems in
data centers.  He sees a lot of waste in that.  He proposes I5/OS as an
integration and
consolidation strategy.  I5/OS is the only operating system he proposes
for handling the
integration.

are we talking server virtualization? technically, what does i5/OS have
that the p5 HMC does not?

MSFT and VMware are going at it in the server virualization space:

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh121806-story02.html
"...IDC is also predicting something that VMware has been aching for:
the establishment of virtualization hypervisors as a standard way to
deploy servers, and a virtual machine as a means of deploying
application software that is pre-packaged, pre-installed, and pre-tuned.
..."

I dont understand. Why and how is the i5 supposed to compete against
VMware?

Contrast a platform assimilation strategy (like Java), or a dominant
propriety platform
strategy (like Windows), with a platform integration strategy, where
each platform retains
many distinctive characteristics, but shares hardware, a single
console, and a number of
standard interfaces (like I5/OS).

who cares? none of this provides more capabilities or features to i5/OS
native applications.

-Steve