For example, you compare SAVE in SEU with CTRL+S in WDSc. However, these
things are two completely separate tasks. SAVE in SEU will save you current
member for you to your development system. In WDSc, this function is done
for you. Your PC is the development system, and it keeps all of the changes
you make as you develop in the Integrated Development Environment. CTRL+S in
WDSc is publishing your changes from the development server to the
deployment or production server.  Not apples to apples. You are complaining
about the present based on something different from the past.

I think you may be missing the point.  In either case the need is to get the
code being displayed on screen (whether 5250 or LPEX) to the source member
it is tied to.  It makes no matter to me that WDSC saves it to my HD first
and then to the source member on the server.

In the same vein I have started to have a green screen open for compiles
when I am doing heavy iterative development and need to compile once every
couple minutes.  From the green screen it is a simple F9 then ENTER.  From
WDSC it is Compile->[pick compile option], hope job submits, if binding
errors go to green screen to compile so you can get job log, wait for event
log to appear.

I REALLY like the insertion of errors in WDSC which is why I use it for
compiling at the beginning of a project, but once I am making iterative
changes it just gets too time consuming.

Aaron Bartell

Thanks for the support. I appreciate the feedback.

Maybe I need to build a website: www.as400syndromeandproudofit.com ? I agree
with you that the key to the future is leveraging the past. However, we need
to have a clear vision of what was valuable from the past and use it as a
stepping stone to the future.

For example, you compare SAVE in SEU with CTRL+S in WDSc. However, these
things are two completely separate tasks. SAVE in SEU will save you current
member for you to your development system. In WDSc, this function is done
for you. Your PC is the development system, and it keeps all of the changes
you make as you develop in the Integrated Development Environment. CTRL+S in
WDSc is publishing your changes from the development server to the
deployment or production server.  Not apples to apples. You are complaining
about the present based on something different from the past.

And, you did not define what you meant by 'better' when you said "native
record level access is better than SQL for retrieving records by key,
updating them, and writing them". While the AS/400 faithful may think it is
'better' in some green outdated sense, the System i futurists do not agree.

Trevor