I found a really goofy setup when we were first integrating the vary
on/offs into our monthly HA switch procedures... a user could vary OFF an
*NWSD without *SERVICE special authority, but needed *SERVICE to vary one
ON!  I submitted a change request, but it was pretty much ignored, of
course.

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             12/14/2006 09:48                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: IXA/IXS/ISCSI RE: Saving the
             Please respond to         System i: Fight Rather Than Switch
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Yeah, only having one DNS, and having it on an IXS card, can wreak havoc
during a 24 hour downtime of the whole i5 box.  You might as well use
native i5/os DNS support.  Then again, you should always have two DNS's.

No big deal, but we did run into things like "it's really best if this one
IXS comes up first and goes down last versus the other IXS cards".

And it takes us about 20 minutes to vary off an IXS card.  We were using
multiple sessions to get ready for downtime.  But since we are using a
program now (to ensure that the one goes down in the right order) there
are ways to vary it off async versus sync.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/14/2006 09:39 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: IXA/IXS/ISCSI RE: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Our WINTEL person is still pretty amazed at how robust the backup recovery
strategy on the IXS setup is!  The main thing we've found is watching your
system dependencies to make sure your IXS/IXA/iSCSI servers/apps can be
brought up/down with their corresponding i5 boxes... just takes more
planning and awareness.

             "Crump, Mike"
             <Mike.Crump@saint
             -gobain.com>                                               To

             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             12/14/2006 09:33                                      Subject

             AM                        RE: IXA/IXS/ISCSI RE: Saving the
                                       System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

In a lot of ways the IXA/IXS/ISCSI solution is nothing to scoff at.  I
know Group Dekko has done a lot of great things with this.  We have had
some successes but effectively there are a few gotchas that tend to make
the traditional WINTEL weenie squeamish.  That being said we do plan on
moving towards an ISCSI solution because I think that is actually the
right way to make this thing work.

Generally speaking my attitude is that if that application is related to
an application on the System i I look for an IXA/IXS/ISCSI solution
first.  Application/operations integration, saves that are highly
concurrent, simplified recovery, etc.

Michael Crump

Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302

765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f

Always remember your weapon was made by the lowest contract.