From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
smorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 1:47 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Backups in HA environments

We are new to the HA environment, and still trying to take advantage of
the features available in the HA environment. I'd appreciate some
suggestions from others working in the HA environment for the best way
to do backups.

We have a pair of Model 520 I5+ systems running iTera Echoe2 software.
Our business software is a custom written application, which we continue
to enhance.  Each systems is partitioned into 2 partitions running
business software. The first partition does our primary processing and
the second partition provides our web services, and does data collection
while the first partition does end of day processing. We need to
maintain 24/7 availability, but we are allowed a few minutes to switch
our processing between these partitions.  Our initial plan (from the
programmers) was to move the backup process to our HA box, and eliminate
the backup window.
This would also allow us to eliminate the switch between partitions,
since the data collection can continue on the primary partition during
our night processing. The HA box will be deployed to a remote location
to allow our processing services to continue in case of problems at our
primary site.
We also have a third party remote hot site in case our first two sites
are unavailable.

However our manager has declared that she wants to be able to get a set
backup tapes from our primary site, in case we need to evacuate to our
third party site.
Has anyone else had to resolve this problem?

One solution I am working through is to do the backup at our HA site,
and then replicate the tapes back to our primary site.  We are currently
backing up about 2.5GB each night. Our full system backup currently fits
on a single 400GB tape. We are using BRMS for our backup/recovery
solution. Does networking the BRMS tape libraries on the primary and
backup systems allow us to duplicate tapes from one system to the other?

We are currently running V5R3. Would Virtual Tape on V5R4 offer a better
solution?

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express
903-885-1283  ext. 479