Lukas,

Most of your complaints deal with the price / performance of the System i, and
I must admit that if IBM were to lower the price or increase the performance,
that would be fine with me, and I don't want to speak for IBM, but one point
that a System i executive made recently is that bandwidth is often more of a
bottleneck than CPU, which happens to me true in the case of my 520.

For example, I'm running a browser based Web application where the screen is
divided into two inline frames.  A complete database record is displayed in the
upper frame, while the bottom frame contains a list of records in a table.
Pressing the [down arrow] key causes the highlight bar to move to the next row
in the list, while at the same time firing off a request to the Apache based
server to fetch the record from the database and return a response that updates
the upper frame.

Holding down the arrow key causes the highlight bar to traverse the list at a
rate of about 25 rows per second, while firing off requests to the server at
the same rate.  Complete records are flying past in the upper frame at a rate
that humanly impossible to read.

Under the Windows Task Manager, I can see Firefox consuming 98% of the CPU on
my 2.4 GHZ processor, but when I flip over to the WRKACTJOB screen, I see the
System i CPU running at 2%.  When I add up the total CPU time consumed by the
Apache based server and my application server, I see that the System i is
completing requests at a rate of 2 milliseconds per request, which frankly is
faster than my PC and network can support.

I made a point earlier that my applications are running under the native
virtual machine, and are written using native languages and database access
methods, which streamlines the interface, and improves performance.

Nathan.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index