Trevor,

For the record, from a practical, business data entry standpoint, I don't think that a GUI has a major advantage over green screen (the exception being navigation.) In fact, it may be a hindrance. But, when it comes to identifying a screen / panel as being modern of old, a half decent GUI will look and fell more comfortable to the average user and manager and person in a software purchasing position.

Enhancing an application is a lot different than making it a crucial part of your application. If I require a third party GUI application to market together with my software, then it's usually a non-starter. It might be OK as an optional component.

BUT, and here's the key, you can throw as many 3rd party GUI vendors as you out there into the mix, but the system won't be known in the marketplace as having a native GUI.

As far as the name is concerned, if IBM was truly pushing the brand name - AND added the modern, very visible components, then I think that it would make a difference. Anything else and it doesn't make much difference.

 -mark