 Today, a native GUI would have to map to HTML in a browser.

If a "native gui" were to go that route I think that would be it's first
flaw - trying to make integration happen in a world wide environment.  There
are too many people with their hand in the pie of standards. Cooperative
standards groups are VERY slow compared to somebody that can make up their
own standards. We have heard a lot of iSeries benefits in this thread, and
99% of them come from intimate integration.  That's also the same reason I
like M$ Office - no other suite has that same integration level.

I think IBM would be best to go the proprietary UI route and create their
own thin client that has predefined sets of controls that aid RPG
programmers in building incredibly solid GUI interfaces.  To address Pluta's
concern of pixel processing, I think that could all be delegated to the
client machine.  I think "Smart Clients"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_client) hold some truth as a solution.
I don't think a extremely productive applications can be built in the
browser.  IBM would be good to set the standard in this area as no one else
is taking the reigns.  I believe it can be done (the way I am thinking of
"native GUI") and I believe IBM could do it quite well based on their
dedication to enterprise level thinking.

On a last note, I can't help but wonder what we would have in he realm of
"native GUI" if IBM would have devoted time/money to that vs. hopping on the
Java wagon.  I think we would have a way different (different as in better)
platform for interactive graphical app development than we have today.

My thoughts,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com