Joe,

Not sure how what you offered answered my question.   Perhaps I was
unclear.

You're right about one thing... its not a religious question nor a
perfect world question of how to design an application if I had the
choice and the business question is based on the answer to my technical
question(s).   My question deals with what can be done with what I have?

That is... I have a packaged application and one version runs under
WebSphere under Windoz, one runs under WebSphere in the IFS of an i5
partition.   Yes, there's a third version that runs under Windows but
I'm not having a problem there.  My problem is with my two WebSphere
environments

I've tested using both environments.  Both give similar performance;
great for the first few rows but asking for a large number or rows
(>10,000) takes more time that any user is willing to put up with.

The questions remain... how to tune WAS or the WebSphere/Windoz/blade
server or IFS/i5/OS/WebSphere environments to get better performance out
of my app?

Thanks,

Dave