Hello Fred,

you need to have an additional card to control that second (or third) PCI-Bus.
This is called an MFIOP (Multi Function IOP, or simply IOP).
In a 170 system this is an FC 2809 or 2824 (this depends on the type of
expansion you have, the 7101 has a 2809 as base controller in slot E10 and
the 7102 has a 2824 as a base in slot E10).
Both accept a second IOP in slot E07, which can be either a 2809 or a 2824.
The first IOP card in slot E10 controls slots E08, E09, E13 and E14, while the
second one controls E02, E03, E11 and E12.
If you have a 2809 in E07, only one 2729 is allowed in the expansion box.
The 2824 is a high performance IOP, which allows for a second 2729 in
a 7101/7102 expansion. The slots for the two 2729 have to be E03 and E09
as you already know.

Hope this helps,
Philipp

Fred Mitchell schrieb:
I have a 170 #2291 with a #7101 expansion cage.  There is a #2729 Magnetic
media controller in slot E09 which I have been using for a while and is OK.  I
have today added another #2729 in slot E03 but I cant get the system to
recognise this.  I have moved the old card from E09 to E03 and put the new card
in E09.  The new card is recognised and I can use the tape drive but the old
card in E03 is still not configured.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can
force this to be configured?