Did not read the article, but I think he is more PC minded than AS/400 (if
he has heard of the system).

By the way, ASCII and EBCDIC are subsets of UNICDE, AFAIK.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler

On 31-10-2006 at 13:57 Mike Cunningham wrote:

Did anyone else read Frank Hayes column in the Oct 23 issue of
Computerworld where hs states that ASCII is better than EBCDIC. When I
went thru school (I won't say when but it was after the birth of ASCII
in the '60s) we were taught that EBCDIC was better since it was 8-bit
and supported 256 characters and ASCII was 7 (at least at that time) and
only support 128 characters. Any idea why he would say ASCII was better?

p.s. I do agree that both should be retired and replaced by unicode