This is on repeated calls, maybe 100 for the test group we are doing.
The VB programmer grabs the time just before the SELECT statement and
again just after. The SELECT to the SYBASE database is just as simple
with the same time grab before and after. And again on the INSERT to
MSSQL. Time on the iSeries is a consistent .5 second, the other two are
a consistent .05 seconds.

All of our VB apps are in public locations (timeclocks, toomrooms,
etc). We setup a unique logon user for each application that only has
access to one library and we place all the views or stored procedures
the app needs in that library. Hardcoding the library is probably not
required but we put that in just as a way to be sure there was minimal
overhead on the iSeries side. It will be removed before we into
production

WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/29/2006 11:26 AM >>>

Mike, that is indeed a rather trivial SQL, w/a key (which you have) it
should perform rather well.

Are you judging performance based on the first access (which has to
setup access to the System i) or are you looking at the 2..n calls
which
can use the existing connection?

Also, do you hard code library names in your RPG? I see this all this
time, and I think it's IBM's fault since their examples do it too, why
are you hard coding library names in your sql statements?

-Walden