Select is very simple

SELECT * FROM LIBRARY/FILE WHERE STUDENTID = Requested ID

LIBRARY/FILE is a DDS created logical file keyed unique on STUDENTID
and has 8 of the fields from the associated PF

richard@xxxxxxxxxxx 10/27/2006 8:21 PM >>>

Hello Mike,

The .Net provider and ODBC drivers should typically provide decent
(subsecond) response times depending on the types of queries and
whether
you're using DataSets or DataReaders. DateReaders typically give
forward-only access and perform better in VB.Net or C#.Net if you're
only
reading data. Your WHERE clase also has a big effect on performance.

We have also converted the JT400 drivers to .Net and they work well in

.Net programs once connected.

A lot will depend on how your app is written to read the single row and

the SQL statement used.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 4
date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:47:46 -0400
from: "Mike Cunningham" <MCUNNING@xxxxxxx>
subject: fastest way to access db2/400 from VB

Which of the various drivers has the fastest for performance for
reading
DB2/400 data from a VB app running on a PC? Most recent version of VB
is
being used for the app and we are on V5R3. We used the IBM .net driver
for the app we did but have noticed some poor performance when
compared
to other databases the same app uses. This app reads a single row from
DB2/400 that is all data, then reads a row with a blob from a sybase
database running on windows and does a write to an MS SQL Server
database. Time tests show the DB2/400 read taking 10 times longer than
sybase read and the MSSQL write. The DB2/400 table being read is a
logical file keyed on the same field that the SQL Select's where
clause.
All servers are in the same room as the PC and on the same subnet and
same switch. The iSeries is not under any load (CPU was 10% during the
test). I did some searching and found some reference to tuning SQL on
the iSeries for each app or dumping the IBM driver in favor of a
third-party driver.