Rob,

I agree, the Mimix installation questionnaire is the
worse I have ever seen.  They ask questions with no
explanations as to why they need the information.  I
started filling it out and gave up after about page 5
- the questions are ridiculous.  My favorite is "How
far apart are the source and target AS/400's".  I
measured and put in 6 feet, 10 inches.

Lakeview has a new component now that is supposed to
help - Intellistart or something like that.  It just
dumps out a bunch of data - it doesn't organize or
help in any way with the process.

What you should do is get the person performing the
Mimix install, (either from Lakeview or the business
partner), sit them down and tell them to ask the
questions that they need answers for - and get them to
explain why they need that information.  Because at
the end of the day, you will be the one that has to
maintain the solution - and if all you know is there
is "some issue" with join logical files that Mimix
needs to know about them, but you don't know what that
issue is or how join logicals are supposed to be
configured in Mimix - you will run into trouble.

Hopefully, somebody from Lakeview subscribes to this
list and will take this back and get the form fixed.

Pat

--- rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've received the Mimix preinstall questionaire.
Some of these questions
make me wonder if they are really geared to getting
this to work, or if
the point of the questionaire to point out that
there are lots of
possibilities for things to go wrong, the odds of it
working and stay
working, especially in a dynamic environment, are
slim.  CYA stuff.

Like when they start asking about libraries, etc.  I
don't suppose
scrawling in there "do all that currently exist, and
all those that may
exist in the future, with maybe the exception of...
" is a valid response.

Is it wrong for me to think this is a stupid
question:  "What should the
default owner be for any object that is replicated
and the owner of the
object does not exist on the target system?"  Isn't
the obvious answer:
"Whomever owned it on the source system."?

I've got one small line to list all user profiles to
replicate.  Hopefully
that is because they support "all" and do not expect
me to figure out 3
clerks can run our business in a DR situation.

They give me 8 lines to list all join logical files
- 1 per line.

They give me 4 lines to list all files that use
triggers, RI, or null
fields.  One file per line.  Ridiculous that I have
to list these
separately.  Why is it such a pain for them?  Do
they not support these
features of DB2?

And why are they concerned if we use the CPYF
command in our applications?

Or, if we say "Reuse deleted records"?

There are no questions regarding IFS.  Don't they do
that also?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Before posting, please take a moment to review the
archives

Patricia Garrity
Garrity Systems, Inc