What I cannot remember is how to get these devices to login automatically. I am almost positive we did it once before, but that was years ago.

My suggestion is to have a program that controls the devices so that they don't have to sign in. Any HLL program can acquire a 5250 device that's sitting at the signon screen, and it can take over that device and display stuff on the screen and request input.

So rather than have your scanners boot up to the sign on screen, I suggest that you have never-ending programs that acquire the scanner devices screens and wait for input. That way, nobody will ever have to sign on to them.

Another alternative is to write a TN5250 proxy. It would listen on a port and accept connections from the scanners. It would then connect to the normal i5/OS TELNET server and issue the necessary commands to sign on. Once signed on, it would simply relay all traffic from the TELNET server back to the RF device, and relay all traffice from the RF device to the TELNET server. Basically, it's a "man in the middle" that types the userid and password automatically for you.

Both of my answers do require programming -- so my apologies if you're not a programmer. Personally, I'm a programmer, so that's just the way I think of things :) I've written both solutions at various times in my life -- if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go the "ACQUIRE" route... it's just a little less messy.

HTH