Tom -

*JOBCTL is a very powerful authority, especially on a production system.
Therefore, I believe *JOBCTL authority should be restricted to Administrators
and Operators. Our auditing staff agrees too...

        Job control (*JOBCTL) special authority:

        The user is given the authority to change, display, hold,
        release, cancel, and clear all jobs that are running on the
        system or that are on a job queue or output queue that has
        OPRCTL (*YES) specified.  The user also has the authority to
        load the system, to start writers, and to stop active
        subsystems.

A programmer doesn't need this level of access in order to do their job. For
example, they don't need to be able to end production jobs and/or production
subsystems. Especially when there are tools available to allow display access
to other user's jobs without being able to change or end them. If our system
was just development system, then *JOBCTL special authority for developers
wouldn't be a problem, but it is a production system.

As for granting *JOBCTL when needed, this could be done, but if there is a way
around having to do this for this one feature of iSeries Navigator, that would
be even better.

Kenneth